An easy cooking recipe which is sweet, homestyle turnips with the mild flavours of ginger and fresh coriander.
- 3 turnips, diced, about 400g
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 green chilies, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili, ground
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander stems
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- chopped coriander for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Click here to buy
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan on medium heat. When hot, add ginger and allow to sizzle for 1 minute. Add onions and stir. Allow onions to cook until they are translucent and start turning golden on edges, about 2 minutes. Add diced turnips, green chilies, salt, turmeric, ground red chili, and coriander stems to the pan. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, lower heat to simmer, and cover. Allow to cook for 12-14 minutes covered, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Uncover; add sugar and cook for another 4 minutes, ensuring turnips are tender.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot with naan, chapatti or rice.
If green chilies are unavailable, you can just use chili powder as in the recipe, and drop the chilies. However, the chilies do add flavor to the turnips.