This is a great recipe for a novice cook or even a pro one! This peanut butter chicken is packed with flavour from peanut butter, chiles, and sesame oil. It is easy and quick to make and is ideal for college cooking or young professionals who want to make a simple, tasty meal. Delicious as a starter, or as a main served with a salad or fried rice.
- 3 halves of chicken breast (about 300g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chilies
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
View this post on Instagram
- Clean and slice chicken breast into 3” long pieces.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add peanut butter, soy sauce, red chilies, sesame oil, coconut milk, black pepper, brown sugar, and lime juice, stir on medium heat until you get a smooth sauce, about 2-3 minutes. Allow it to cool once done.
- Reserve 1/3 of sauce to serve with the chicken; use the remaining 2/3rds for marinating the chicken.
- Marinate chicken strips with the sauce for ½ an hour up to 6 hours.
- Heat oven to 200⁰C. Skewer chicken pieces onto prepared skewers.
- Oil a baking pan with the remaining oil.
- Place the skewers in the oven and let bake for 7-8 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the skewers from the oven, turn and baste with the remaining sauce.
- Place chicken back in the oven and bake it for another 7 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve it hot with lime wedges and remaining peanut sauce!
Critical Ingredients: The peanut butter is critical as is the coconut milk. You can substitute coconut oil with an oil of your choice. Garlic adds flavour, but ginger would work too. Use half a teaspoon of ground chili or half a teaspoon of chili paste if you don’t have fresh chilies. If you skip the sesame oil no-one is really going to notice! No lime juice? Add half a teaspoon of white vinegar!