A super-simple recipe of healthy sweet potatoes that can either be served as a side dish or a dessert.
- ½ kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½ cm slices (with the skin)
- ½ liter (2 cups) water
- 6-7 whole cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons grated or powdered jaggery
- 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter)
- Add ghee to a large saucepan, heat on medium heat for one minute until hot. Add sweet potatoes and just enough water to cover the slices, then add cloves and pinch of salt and bring to boil.
- Do not stir.
- Allow to boil for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add jaggery and cook for 4-5 minutes until sauce is thick.
- Serve hot. Delicious along with the main course or even as a healthy dessert.
Ghee here is more for flavor than anything else. You can leave it out if you are vegan, or substitute butter. Jaggery can be replaced with brown sugar or regular sugar. I prefer cloves but people also use cardamom, which to me makes it taste more like a dessert. I prefer to have my sweet potatoes as part of my dinner! In South Africa, they use cinnamon, which also gives a nice flavor. Either throw in a stick of cinnamon or cassia or use ¼ teaspoon cinnamon while cooking instead of cloves.