A delightful, healthy side of spiced yoghurt with popped lotus seeds, also known as fox nuts or gorgon nuts.
- 1 cup popped lotus seeds (also known as fox nuts or gorgon nuts) Click here to buy fox nuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cup plain or greek yogurt Click here to buy greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili, ground
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 15-20 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 a green chili, finely chopped (optional)
View this post on Instagram
- Soak popped lotus seeds in a cup of milk for 2-3 hours until soft. Drain and keep aside. (The milk can be fed to the cat or used to make yoghurt. It has no residual smell or flavour so don’t throw it out!)
- Lightly roast cumin on a dry pan for 2 minutes until brown and grind or pound in a mortar to a powder. (It is best to roast cumin in a larger quantity and keep in an airtight bottle for later use.)
- Whisk yoghurt with 3 tablespoons of milk used for soaking, add salt, ground red chili, roasted cumin, and mint. Add chopped green chilies if using. Add soaked and drained lotus seeds.
- Garnish with mint leaves and cumin and serve cold.