Corn & Coconut salad is an easy Indian and delicious salad recipe perfect for a summer afternoon brunch.
- 1 450g tin of corn kernels (250g after draining) or equivalent boiled frozen or fresh corn kernels Click here to buy
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- 3 tablespoons chopped raw mango
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped red chilies or red jalapenos
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Juice of 1 lime or about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil Click here to buy
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- If using frozen or fresh corn, boil until cooked and soft. If using canned corn, drain.
- Combine corn, coconut, raw mango, scallions, cilantro, and chilies or jalapenos in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and mix.
- Combine lime juice and sugar until well mixed, and mix into salad.
- Put salad into serving bowl and refrigerate.
- Just before serving heat coconut oil on medium heat. Add mustard seeds to hot oil and wait until they sizzle and pop. Stir in chopped garlic. When garlic starts browning, remove from heat. Pour onto salad and serve.
- Garnish with a little coconut and coriander if desired.
The corn, coconut, and mango are critical. You can substitute 2 teaspoons vinegar for the lime juice. Any vinegar except balsamic. The chilies can be substituted with any type of chili which isn’t too hot (not birds-eye) because you don’t want to bite into really hot chilies in a salad. Even without tempering, the salad tastes great with the natural sweetness of corn and coconut, the sourness of the mangoes. Cilantro can be replaced with mint and you still get a satisfying, but different flavor.