A Sri Lankan staple “chutney” made of fresh coconut and chilies! A recipe for a delicious side with hopper, idlis, and everything else!
- 1.5 cups fresh grated coconut
- Juice of one lime
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a chopper or food processor until ingredients are finely mixed. You can also do this with a mortar and pestle.
- Chill before serving.
- Serve with rice, dosas, hoppers, or chapattis.
Recipe Credit: I opened my recipe box one day to find this mysteriously inserted recipe, in lovely handwriting, inside. I couldn’t figure out where it came from, until one day my daughter confessed, that my niece Priyanka Mariwala had inserted it as a surprise gift. To Priyanka, who loves coconut, thank you, sweetheart!
The ground Kashmiri chili can be substituted with paprika. The green chilies are essential as they give the flavour, but if ground Kashmiri chili/ paprika is not available, the sambol will still taste great.