A sweet and savoury tropical yogurt delicious with the flavours of banana and roasted coconut. A great side dish that goes well with any meal, and makes a great breakfast as well!
- 1 cup plain, unflavoured yogurt
- 2 ripe green bananas, about 200 grams
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon rock salt or regular salt Buy our favourite rock salt!
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin, roasted and ground
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri chili ground or regular chili ground
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Buy our preferred freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili, sliced down from the center
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut (or try our favourite desiccated coconut )
- 1 tablespoon ghee Buy our favourite ghee!
- Combine yogurt, milk, salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Peel and slice bananas into ¼ inch slices. Add to yogurt, and pour the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Heat ghee on medium heat and add a teaspoon of mustard seeds and sliced green chilies. Allow mustard seeds to splutter.
- Add grated coconut to ghee and allow to cook 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until light brown in colour. Pour onto yogurt and banana mixture. Serve immediately.
Yogurt and bananas are critical. The ground spices provide key flavour. If you leave out the mustard seeds and green chili, you will still have a dish with a lovely aroma of browned coconut. If you don’t have ghee, substitute coconut oil for a lovely aromatic finish. If you use desiccated coconut, soak in a bit of milk to soften before browning. If it is sweetened, do not add the sugar to the yogurt, and reduce the quantity to ¼ cup.