Quick Mexican Corn Casserole
Everyone has that super easy dish that they make when gets suddenly drop by and there isn’t enough dinner! Mine is Mexican Corn Casserole! My Mom used to make a corn casserole and serve it with garlic bread every Saturday night when they would be out for dinner, and we kids would be stuck at home. (Mom never cooked Sunday lunch, and it was always out at Shakey’s Pizza Parlor! I should have carried on that tradition!). Well, over the years I adapted it, as my family preferred a more spicy variation, but it still is my very popular go-to dish, and can be yours as well!
Watch the YouTube video below to see how quick this recipe is! I always keep a couple of cans of corn at home for emergencies. You can use frozen or fresh corn, just boil it briefly in advance. If you can’t find cream style corn, just run a drained can of corn, or the equivalent boiled kernels, through a food processor for about 1-2 minutes with 3 tablespoons of cream. It will work just as well.
Go ahead and try this one-dish wonder! And be ready for a lot of compliments!
Mexican Corn Casserole
- 1 can whole corn
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh cream (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1 fresh or bottled jalapeno, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs- divided
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese – divided
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium-sized bowl beat eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix one can of whole corn and one can of creamed corn. Whisk in eggs and cream until incorporated. Season with salt, cumin, paprika, pepper, salsa, jalapeños, parsley, and oregano.
- Pour into your baking dish. Mix in ¾ cup cheese, 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, onions, and peppers. (Save 6-8 pieces of onions and peppers to decorate the top of the casserole.)
- Smoothen top and sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and remaining ¼ cup cheese. Decorate with remaining pieces of onions and peppers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 mins, or until top browns.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
Critical Ingredients: The corn and the cheese are critical. You can leave out the cream, it won’t make much of a difference. The eggs are required, but if you don’t eat eggs, you can substitute a combination of 8 tablespoons unflavored yoghurt mixed with 4 tablespoons besan (also known as chickpea flour) to bind