beetroot salad with coconut and peanuts
A quick and easy beetroot healthy salad recipe with tropical flavours.
3 red beets, about 400g
4 tablespoons fresh grated coconut
4 tablespoons roasted peanuts, slightly crushed
3 tablespoons chopped coriander/ cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime, or about 2 tablespoons
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Put whole, unpeeled beets into a saucepan and cover with water. Boil until cooked through and soft, about 25- 30 minutes.
- 2. Cool beets, peel and dice in to ½ inch pieces.
- 3. Combine beets, coconut, fresh coriander and peanuts in a large mixing bowl. Add salt and mix.
- 4. Combine lime juice and sugar until well mixed, and pour into salad. Mix well.
- 5. Put salad into serving bowl, garnish with some peanuts, and serve at once. (If preparing in advance, add salt to beets, pour dressing, and refrigerate. Add coconut, coriander and peanuts before serving, so coconut is not discoloured.)
The beets, coconut and peanuts are critical. You can substitute 2 teaspoons vinegar for the lime juice - any vinegar except balsamic. Cilantro can be replaced with mint and you still get a satisfying, but different flavour.