baby potatoes with peanuts
A quick and easy cooking recipe with baby potatoes and peanuts and a touch of coconut.
300g baby potatoes
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder- divided
1” ginger, cut roughly
1 small bunch green coriander, chopped, about 5 tablespoons
3 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons coconut milk or coconut cream
2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
5 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed in a mortar
½ a lime
- 1. Boil potatoes uncovered in a saucepan for about 16-20 minutes, or until soft. Cool and peel.
- 2. While potatoes are boiling, combine ginger, coriander and 3 tablespoons water in blender or food processor to make a paste.
- 3. Add salt, cumin powder and red chili powder to peeled potatoes.
- 4. Heat ghee or oil in a 10” frying pan on medium heat until hot and add 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder. Stir for about ½ minute.
- 5. Add ginger-coriander paste and fry for 2 minutes until water dries.
- 6. Add potatoes and sugar to paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
- 7. Add coconut milk and allow to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
- 8. Remove from heat. Add peanuts, mix well and squeeze lime and serve immediately.
Serves: 2 (as a side)
You could substitute garlic for ginger and get a nice final product. Lime can be replaced with lemon juice. While peanuts give this dish flavour, I find it works nicely with roasted sesame seeds as well, for a similar nutty flavour. The sugar can be omitted.