green mango and fresh peas
Green Mango and Fresh Peas - Green peas with tangy raw mango and crunchy roasted lentils, perfect for breakfast or an anytime snack which is a south Indian vegetarian recipe.
250g fresh peas or frozen peas (about 2 cups)
1 small raw mango, peeled and chopped fine (about 40g)
½ a green chili
1 teaspoon whole cumin
½ teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
2 red whole red chilies
2 teaspoons urad dal/ white split lentils
4-5 curry leaves
¾ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon yellow mustard seeds, finely ground (powder)
¼ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
½ cup water
4 tablespoons fresh grated coconut
2 tablespoons coconut oil or any mild flavored cooking oil
one small bunch fresh coriander, chopped, or about 4 tablespoons
- 1. Heat oil in a work or deep frying pan on medium heat.
- 2. Add cumin, mustard seeds, red chilies and lentils and stir. Let spices cook for a minute until they start browning.
- 3. Add peas and piece of green chili, sauté for 2 minutes.
- 4. Now put in salt and mustard powder and sauté for a minute.
- 5. Add water, and simmer on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- 6. Add mango and coconut, lower heat, and continue to simmer for 3 minutes, or until peas tender and flavours are incorporated.
- 7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- 8. Serve with rice or chappatis.
I like the flavor of green chilies, but you can use a fresh red chili or a jalapeno chili if you like. Cumin and mustard seeds give the peas flavor, but even just cumin will do. If you don’t have the lentils, you can add crushed peanuts for crunch. Coconut oil can be substituted with any vegetable oil. Even without the curry leaves you will get a tasty dish!